Thursday, October 16, 2008

more on Matthew

Matthew 5:31-32
“You have heard the law that says, ‘A man can divorce his wife by merely giving her a written notice of divorce.’ But I say that a man who divorces his wife, unless she has been unfaithful, causes her to commit adultery. And anyone who marries a divorced woman also commits adultery."

Does anyone else see the line here that says 'unless she has been unfaithful"? I always thought divorce was wrong in God's eyes, no matter what. Not sure where I got that but I am glad I am able to read the words for myself straight from the mouth of Jesus!


Here is another one I thought I knew but had twisted in my mind:

Matthew 5:42

Give to those who ask, and don’t turn away from those who want to borrow.

Give to those who ask??? Like the guy standing on the corner who might use my money to buy cigarettes or alcohol or drugs? I always thought I was being a good steward of my money by NOT giving to those people. A friend and I were talking about this verse and she asked me, "Who are we to judge who is worthy to use our money, since God gave it all to us anyway?" OUCH!!! I think she was right.

Sometimes it hurts when I find out I have believed something incorrectly for all these years. My first reaction is to try to blame someone else...maybe a former teacher. The truth is it is MY responsibility to read it for myself. But, I am thankful that God is correcting me so I can try to follow these not quite so easy guidelines.


No comments: